Trying to kick chemicals to the curb? Try Fire Cider for an all Natural Alternative Cold and Flu Remedy.
With the cold and flu season right around the corner, it’s the perfect time right now! Fire Cider is a term coined by pioneer of the herbal movement, Rosemary Gladstar, back in the 1980’s at the California School of Herbal Studies; this was when Fire Cider tonic was first concocted! It’s also sometimes called Winter Cider and Craft Cider in the Herbalist Community.
Designed with traditional remedy and folk medicine in mind, this vinegar infused spicy tonic provides anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral properties. The all-natural remedy acts as a probiotic, decongestant, and circulatory stimulant. This immune boosting tonic is a perfect non-alcoholic home remedy for colds and flu. It’ll help improve digestion and the spicy heat will be sure to warm you up!
Below is the Fire Cider recipe I follow!
- Organic and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh organic ginger root, chopped fine or grated
- 1/2 cup fresh organic horseradish root, chopped fine or grated
- 1 organic white onion, chopped
- 10 cloves of garlic, organic and chopped fine
- 2 organic jalapeno peppers, de-seeded and chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 organic lemon
- Several fresh sprigs of organic rosemary (or 2 tbsp dried)
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder, organic
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder, organic
- Raw honey to taste
- Quart sized mason jar
- Chopping knife
- Cutting board
- Grater (optional, but recommended)
- Natural parchment paper
- A couple hours – give yourself plenty of time!
- Chop or shred all ingredients (roots, fruits, and herbs) and place them in the quart size mason jar.
- Fill the mason jar up with organic apple cider vinegar.
- Place a small piece of natural parchment paper over top of jar mouth (to separate the metal lid from the vinegar).
- Tightly screw on lid over parchment paper.
- Shake jar to mix ingredients everyday for 3-4 weeks (some wait until 6 weeks).
- After about a month, strain out pulp with cheesecloth and pour reserved vinegar into a clean jar.
- Mix in raw honey to taste!
- Think of amazing variations to try for the next time you make Fire Cider!
Watch Rosemary Gladstar make her Fire Cider!
References / Further Reading:
How Fire Cider Started: http://freefirecider.com/rosemarys-story/
Where this Recipe was found: http://mountainroseblog.com/fire-cider/
We're Up On Our Soapbox
& Many Vegan Options
Our Mission Statement
Handcraft Essentials is dedicated to producing high quality, handmade, and nature inspired herbal cosmetics and products.
All products produced by Handcrafted Essentials are vegetarian and cruelty-free.
We stand for ethical buying and environmentally friendly packaging.
The Handcrafted Process
Wedding & Special Events
Terms of Service